Saturday, May 7, 2016

Construction site, Somerville, Massachusetts

Assembly Square continues to develop apace in Boston, with some sort of high-rise now emerging above the land that used to be parking lots and rather sketchy strip mall.  When I first moved to Somerville, the development plans for assembly square were a major point of contention in local politics, between established powers who wanted to make a quick buck with their developer friends and progressives agitating for more strategic development of a mixed commercial and residential area.  I hope this high-rise means the mixed-use developments have ultimately won, but I've lost touch with what's going on in the former home that embraced me for a decade of my life, across my true transition from childhood into adulthood.  I miss that city in many ways, and in others am quite content with my new life in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment