Thursday, July 19, 2018

Waiting in line for Angel's Landing, Zion NP, Utah

And this is why, in the end, I didn't make it to the top of Angel's Landing. The last stretch is quite narrow and steep, with thousand-foot drop-offs on either side, so there are chains on the rocks that you climb to make your way up. So far, no problem. But with such dense crowds, what that translates to in practice is standing in line, cooling your heels and waiting for the people in front to you to move. I waited for about 15 minutes, advancing something like 20 meters, and decided that I'd had enough. I hike to feel myself moving through the wilderness, not to stand packed in a human traffic jam. I turned around and made my way down, some helpful fellow line-standers jeering at me on the presumption that I was overcome by fear or vertigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment