Monday, February 8, 2016

British Airways planes at Heathrow

When I first flew on airplanes, I felt a great degree of nervousness, though I can't particularly understand why when I look back.  Even while I knew how safe and reliable flying was, it just felt like something that I should be concerned about.  This even carried on into my early professional life, a feeling like I had to be paying attention when the plane was taking off, or else it would somehow fail to operate correctly.  That fear has faded, as I travel more, and my relationship with airplanes and airports has changed to one of comfort, a strange sense of homeliness, and a quiet and almost unacknowledgable delight in the great beast of air and fire that we have created to carry us to the far ends of our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment