Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Everything is locally sourced somewhere

When I saw this sign in a McDonald's near our house, I found it extremely strange at first. After all, McDonald's is not normally accustomed to bragging about having locally sourced its ingredients.  Here, however, was a reminder to me that even large scale agriculture is local produce for somebody, and in this case quite a bit is apparently coming from Iowa, and probably much of it not too far away.  Indeed, I would not be surprised if all the processing was also done quite locally, since a lot of food processing happens here as well.  The one thing that's still surprising, though, is how tiny the amount of corn that is: unlike much of our food, I guess McDonald's doesn't really use much corn in anything it sells after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment